on my mind

Lately I've been getting everything together so I can go back to school in the fall. It turns out I have like two classes that transfer out of the sixteen that I took in North Carolina. I was going for Interior Design before, so I wasn't expecting a lot of those classes to transfer, but it's hard not to feel like I wasted my time since they don't count for anything at this new school in Georgia. I also have to take the SAT this summer - like a seventeen year old trying to get accepted into as many colleges as possible - because of my laziness, lack of planning, and indifference in high school. I could slap my high school self for so many things.

Despite those things though, there is a lot that I'm looking forward to about being a student again.* For one thing, I can't wait to get up in the morning with a schedule. Some structure. If I don't have structure, I am an absolute mess. It turns out that I only appreciate my free time when I don't have so much of it. I'm also really excited to learn some things. In my earlier school years, I did the cramming and memorizing necessary to get a good grade. I retained hardly any knowledge and completely missed the point of homework and tests. Now I have this thirst for knowledge and I can't wait to learn because I want to know. I am most excited about my major - Art Education. I am unbelievably indecisive, so choosing something that I was going to do for the rest of my life was HARD and took a lot of thought (like, a year of nothing but thought). I am going to study art education because Jeff told me to imagine what I could have fun doing, no matter how much I got paid or how hard I would have to work to get it. I over think everything, so after he put it so simply, I realized that teaching kids to make things and appreciate art would probably make me happier than any other job ever could. I am pretty darn excited about that.

In other news: blueberries have been turning my milk blue every morning. I like it. Jeff and I go through more granola that I think is normal.

2011 04 19 at 16 07 05

 

*The way I talk about "going back to school" makes it sound like I am a senior citizen who is going back after about 40 years, but I am still very much college aged. Just going back after two years of community college and one year of taking a break to be eligible for in-state tuition/figure out what I want to study now that I am a married lady.

 


4 comments:

nikaela marie said...

ohhhhh I am so excited for you. i eat (drink?) blue milk every morning too! how come you stopped with interior design? I can't wait to hear about your school coming up.... now that you have a plan, is the freedom (structure-less-ness) you still enjoy easier to deal with?

xxx

chloƩ said...

Nikaela, I started interior design right out of high school and enjoyed the first year because it was mainly arts and crafts for college kids. When we got into designing, I realized that I was not very good at designing for anyone except myself. If something wasn't my taste, it was really hard for me to get into it. So I finished up the semester before Jeff and I got married, and then I knew we were moving anyway, so I decided to choose something else when we moved.

And YES, my freedom is much more enjoyable now that I have a plan. It's like I can savor it now that I know I won't have it soon. So I don't feel guilty if buying groceries is the most productive thing I do all day. :)

Sara Downton said...

oh gosh, you describe how i feel about going back to school PERFECTLY - except i am not going back yet because i don't know what i want to do and already have so much debt built up that i don't want to go back until i am sure (or at least fairly sure). good luck with it all!

janis said...

Congratulations on making a decision! I'm in Education too, so I obviously think it's a good choice :) I worked with a girl last summer who also was studying art education. In Canada, you aren't able to specialize in art education, but I think it's a neat idea.

Thanks for your lovely comment. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one stressing out when i'm supposed to enjoying life!

And convertible rides when it's cold - Mike is really into this. I'll bring along a blanket & crank the heat & try not to complain!

Post a Comment